Social Security field offices in West Virginia, as well as in many other parts of the country, are now closed. Closing the offices does not mean that people can no longer complete an application for benefits.
Apply Online Or Call
The SSA is directing people to check their online services before calling their offices for help. They are still assisting people by phone and mail, in addition to the self-service options available through the website.
Available Online Services
There are many options available to people even while the field offices are closed. The website allows people to take many actions, including:
- Filing a claim for disability
- Filing a claim for Medicare benefits
- Filing a claim for retirement
- Checking the status of your application
- Filing an appeal if your application for disability benefits was denied
- Changing or setting up direct deposit
While the field offices remain closed, the SSA expects wait times for phone services to be longer than normal. They are dedicating personnel to cover critical situations, including applications from people with a terminal illness or thos whose disabilities qualify them for the Quick Disability Determination process.